Filming Blog: Obtaining the Perfect Props

     Hey guys! So, I want to tell you about the rest of the props I bought for my opening sequence. After the cutting board, the next prop I had to buy was a "scary mask" for the killer to wear. To avoid spending more money, I first tried to ask some friends and family if they had a similar mask lying around. I assumed that someone would have to have one as a part of a past Halloween costume, but unfortunately that wasn't  the case. 

    The next step I could think to do was head back to Amazon, as I've learned based on my last experience that it's the cheapest and most convenient way to buy my props. I started online shopping, and within a few minutes I found the perfect mask. It said that the mask would arrive in three days, which is perfect, as I won't need it for filming for another week. 

    After the mask, the next thing I had to obtain was a large knife to use as the murder weapon. I didn't have to buy this prop because I already had a few kitchen knives that would work. However, before I could use any of them I needed to ask permission, to make sure my parents were comfortable with me taking it. I was allowed to use it, but my parents first told me how to be careful when handling the knife and cautioned me to be careful. They also gave me a protective covering they had for the knife, which will allow me to transport it safely. 

    There were no other props that I had to buy or obtain prior to filming, because the rest of the props needed were household items that either Giulia or I already had at the filming location. For example, one of the scenes requires a welcome mat, so I reached out to Giulia to make sure that she had one at her house that I could use. She said yes, but just in case, I decided to ask my mom if she wanted to lend me the welcome mat I have at my house. This way, if something happens to the mat at Giulia's house, I would have a backup that I could use. 

    For the red paint that I needed, I reached out to Giulia and she said that she had some that could be used. She also already had notebook paper as well, which I needed for one of the scenes. The only other prop I needed was an extra phone. I was bringing my phone to use as a prop, but I needed another phone to call the prop phone being used. I asked Giulia, if she had any that I could use, and she said she did. 

Overall, I am really happy with how all of the props came together, as I know that they are a very important element to bring any story to life through film. Since I incorporate a lot of props into the opening sequence, it was very important that I got all the props ahead of time. I'm grateful that there weren't any unexpected hiccups when it came to obtaining them!

Now that all the props are done, I have to figure out what tools I will need for the actual filming. I am also responsible for obtaining these items, as they are essential for me to successfully film the final project. Next week is when I plan on finding the technology that I can use, and I'll update you guys when I do!






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Planning Blog: Title design

Filming in Wilton Manors

Title Research: Art of the Title Website