The Filming Finale

    Hey guys! Today was the last day of filming and I'm here to tell you all about it. Giulia and I met at my house to film at around 3pm. I had asked my parent's for permission to use their car for filming, since the scene takes place in a car. The first thing I had to do before we started filming was connect my phone to the car in order to play the song and have it show on the dashboard. For some reason, however, I could not get my phone to connect to the car's bluetooth, so I decided to use my mom's phone instead, which worked. Then, I had to use Giulia's Spotify account to play the song, because when I tried to play it on any other app, it didn't show the album cover on the car's dashboard, which I needed for the scene. 

    Once I got the music set up, I had to figure out the timing for the scene. I had to decide the amount of time Giulia would have to step into the car, put her head on the steering wheel, and turn on the radio and compare that to the time stamp of where I would start the song. This is because the song had 17 seconds of cheering sounds before the actual lyrics began. If I kept those 17 seconds and also had the beginning action before the song starts, the music video would end up being too long. To ensure that the video did not go over the time requirement, I played around with different variations of the times. Then, I realized that since I have to complete a pan angle before the lyrics started, I had to time it perfectly. I would have to have enough time of the beginning of the song, before the lyrics, to pan from Giulia, to the dashboard, and back to Giulia. This would ensure that I had the camera facing Giulia when she started lip syncing to the song.  

    Eventually, I was able to figure out the perfect timing and thought I was ready to begin filming. However, I then faced another challenge; the lighting within the car was extremely bright. To fix that, I placed the car's sun shade behind us, and held it with my head, to block the sun. It took a few tried to get the sun shade to stay, but once it did, the unwanted shadows and bright lighting were no longer a problem. 

    Finally, I was ready to start filming. This scene took about 4 takes to complete. At first, I directed Giulia on how to enter the car, how to position her body for the camera, and how to use facial expressions to bring the song to life. Then, it took me about two tries to be able to pan from Giulia to the camera without having the camera shake. Once I got that shot, we were ready to move onto the next scene. 

    Wow, I just realized how long this blog has gotten, I guess I have a lot to say. Guess I'll have to tell you the rest of what happened next time. See you then!






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Planning Blog: Title design

Filming in Wilton Manors

Title Research: Art of the Title Website